Gozo, Malta Guided Strolling & Exploring Holiday ---- 8 Days, 7 Nights
Explore Gozo's remarkable landscape -- towering cliffs, magnificent coastal paths with breathtaking views, rocky bays and inlets, inviting clear blue water, hidden beaches of red sand, and exotic Mediterranean flora and fauna
Gozo is perfect for a relaxing and discovery filled holiday - the island’s natural and geologic beauty, year round temperate climate, characteristic slow pace of life and extensive network of walking paths make Gozo an ideal landscape to walk. There are plenty of historic sites to visit too, reflecting the diversity of the cultures that have settled on the island through the ages. This holiday combines lovely walking with getting to know the history, culture and magical places that make Gozo so special. We call it “Walking back in time.”
The island of Gozo is part of the Maltese Archipelago and lies in the Mediterranean Sea just 60 miles south of Sicily, Italy. The islands have been a stopping point for civilizations roaming the Mediterranean Sea for thousands of years, resulting in diverse and culturally intriguing artifacts. The islands are a popular tourist destination because of the sun, sand and crystal waters, and Gozo in particular is perfect for leisurely walking at a comfortable pace.
- Stroll along the walking trails that crisscross the island’s beautiful countryside, through traditional limestone villages and the rich and diverse historical and cultural sites that span the centuries.
- Excellent for nature lovers – the terrain is covered with wild flowers in the spring and the views of the sea are stunning. The walks take you on cliff tops and in sandy bays along Gozo’s famous coast line.
- Discover the wonderful historical buildings and features on the island - magnificent churches, historic towns, quaint villages and harbors, salt pans, prehistoric cart tracks, and interesting sites on the mainland Malta.
Holiday Price Includes
- Full program of guided strolling and exploring walks.
- Personal touring services from our tour leader from England and expert walking guidance from experienced local guides. The tour leader arranges all aspects of the holiday for you and is there every step of the way.
- En-suite accommodations for seven (7) nights (based on double occupancy) in Hotel San Andrea located on the seaside promenade of Xlendi Bay. The hotel is owner managed and is just steps from the Mediterranean Sea, good cafes and souvenir shops. All rooms have baths and showers, hairdryers, internet connection, satellite television and air conditioning. There is a single supplement of $180.00 for sole use of a twin room for the seven nights.
- Meals are half board and include all breakfasts and evening meals each day. Breakfast is buffet style and is taken in the hotel’s dining room or on the outside terrace by the bay. The three-course dinner is from a table d’hote menu that changes each day and offers an excellent opportunity to socialize and relax. Locally caught fish is a specialty and the main courses are accompanied by locally grown vegetables.
- Transfers between the airport on Malta and our holiday base on Gozo upon arrival and at departure..
- Transport to the walk start each day and also to the various historical sites we visit.
April 8, 2017 $ 1,500
Gozo & Malta
The walking program is easy to moderate – this is strolling and exploring so we tour at an unhurried pace. The terrain is relatively flat with slight undulation. In the spring, the land is covered with wild flowers – a joy to walk and you are never far away from the sea. We walk along the coast, on the cliff tops and in sandy bays and on the beaches, through the beautiful rural green countryside and picturesque valleys, and through traditional fishing villages. On these journeys, we explore the historic sites and relics left over the centuries by the Phoenicians, Arabs, Normans, Spanish, French and British. The coastal walking is lovely and the views over the island and of Malta are stunning. We also travel to Malta for historical exploration of the towns of Rabat (Victoria), Valletta and Mdina.
Walking starts at 9:30AM and we walk for three hours before lunch which is either packed or eaten at a local café. Another two and a half hours in the afternoon, finishing off with a cup of tea or beer. Usually each day finishes at the crystal clear waters of a quiet cove or lagoon.
Further Travel Information
- Getting to the Gozo holiday. The price for this holiday is land only and does not include flights from the United States to Malta. The hotel transfers included in the holiday price are between the Malta International Airport and the hotel on Gozo. You will need to notify us of your arrival and departure times so that we can accommodate your transport. It is ideal to arrive by mid-afternoon to allow yourself a bit of time to relax. We can help research your options for arranging travel to Malta. Please note that the published holiday dates are the dates you arrive in your holiday area and not when you leave the United States.
- Passport and Visa Requirements for U.S. Citizens. Passports must be valid for at least three (3) months beyond the period of intended stay and issued within the past ten (10) years. It is further recommended that your passport have at least six (6) months validity remaining beyond the date of completion of the holiday and ensure there are a sufficient number of blank pages in your passport (usually 4 to 6). No Visa is required for stays up to 90 days.
- Weather. The climate on Gozo is typically Mediterranean with mild winters and hot summers. We organize our holidays in March/April when the spring flowers are blooming and in October when it is still lovely and warm.
- Official language. Maltese and English are the official languages of Gozo and Malta.
- Travel Insurance. Unexpected events before or during a trip may leave you with cancelled plans, delayed flights and missed connections, lost luggage, or unforeseen medical expenses. Obtaining Travel Insurance to protect your travel investment is recommended. Companies that provide comprehensive policies include Travel Guard, Travel Insured International, Allianz, Travelex to name a few.
- Sustainability. We support, where applicable, the concepts of responsible and sustainable tourism. Our trip will involve the use of in-country and local industries for all our visiting needs whenever feasible and possible